- The tools for rigid profiles include the machine die, which shapes and regularises the profile, and a calibrator.
This highly complex tool contains vacuum sections to maintain the shape of the profile and cooling circuits to regulate temperature.
- The tool that enables production of a tube comprises three main parts:
1. A die which defines external diameter
2. A pin to define internal diameter
3. A cooling and sizing device to freeze the external diameter at its final dimension.
The dimensions of these first two tools, placed at the end of the extruding machine, are generally larger than those of the finished tube: there is a draw ratio between the product as it leaves the extruding machine and in its finished state.
The cooling device is placed in a vacuum tank. It enables the tube to cool down while it takes on its final dimensions. This last complex tool is specific for each external tube diameter.
Good tube quality is assessed based on the respect of diameters, cut length, ovalisation and minimum off-centring.